Monday, May 21, 2012

Update: Across the Fruited Plain


The trip has been going amazingly well so far. I honestly didn’t think I would be able to stick to the schedule I had made for myself, but I’ve kept to it almost exactly. So far, the tally of presidential house visits on the trip has come to seven. We’ve visited the Grant Boyhood Home, the Grant Birthplace, the Taft birthplace, Zachary Taylor Boyhood Home, the Abraham Lincoln Boyhood Log Cabin, the William Henry Harrison House, and the Truman House, with a quick pit stop at the Mark Twain Boyhood Home in Hannibal, MO.

I’ve visited three new states, and gotten a different view of the country as we’ve traveled almost exactly through the middle of the United States. People have been incredibly responsive to my mission. I would like to give a special shout out to a group of women in Missouri who have the most awesome book club selections I’ve ever heard of, and were kind enough to share their enthusiasm.

I still have quite a ways to go on the trip, so I will keep you posted!

2 comments:

Cindy Creaden said...

Hello! My friends and I met you and your Mom on our tour of the Truman home. I just read your blog, and I loved it! Your entries are informative and entertaining, and you are a great writer! What a fun project...keep up the good work and safe travels to you both!

Cindy Creaden
Overland Park, Kansas

P.S. I wrote the above entry last night, but didn't post it. I came back today to post and saw your mention of our book club. We enjoyed meeting you and wish you the best on your journey!

KRez said...

What a great idea - someday I would like to take this trip. KR